For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. Mumbai: A deadly heat wave in Japan this week has many residents in the Japanese capital questioning the wisdom of staging the Tokyo 2020 Olympics in July and August.Rescuers in Tokyo responded to more than 3,000 emergency calls on Wednesday as the heat wave continued to grip Japan.The 2020 Olympics will run from July 24 to Aug. 9 when temperatures in central Tokyo can exceed 35 degrees Celsius (95 Fahrenheit).A total of 317 people were rushed to hospitals in the capital on Wednesday. The number of emergency calls broke the previous record of 2,900 set the previous day.Tokyo’s Application File to host the 2020 Games reads: “The pleasant weather conditions at this time of year will be ideal for athletes.” But anyone who has spent a summer in Tokyo knows that’s not necessarily the case.Experts have warned the risk of heat stroke in Tokyo has escalated in recent years, while noting the Olympics are expected to take place in conditions when sports activities should normally be halted.”If this is what it’s going to be like for the Olympics, it will be dangerous,” said office worker Akira Nishino as he mopped sweat from his brow near the Imperial Palace on Friday.Nine people died and thousands were taken to hospitals across Japan on Wednesday. Temperature rose as high as 40.7C (105F) in central Japan.The Japan Meteorological Agency warned of extremely high temperatures and has called on people to take precautions such as drinking water and using air conditioners.In 1964, the Olympics in Tokyo were held in October, mostly to avoid the scorching heat. But that was before the Olympics became big business and TV contracts determined schedules.Organizers are doing what they can but there is only so much that can be done in an attempt to beat the heat.During a visit to Tokyo last week, John Coates, the head of an IOC inspection team, acknowledged that heat will be a huge challenge for Tokyo organizers.”We are mindful that we do have to prepare for extreme heat,” Coates said at a news conference. “You’re not the first country to host the games in extreme heat. It’s a natural consequence of being in July and August.” Coates said organizers should explore all options to combat the extreme heat that will likely prevail during the games.The marathon and a number of other outside sport events will be held early in the morning to avoid scorching heat, a plan approved by the IOC on Wednesday showed.The Japanese government and the Tokyo metropolitan government are planning to lay pavements that emit less surface heat and plant taller roadside trees but many worry it won’t be enough.Meanwhile Coates has urged Tokyo organizers to rely more heavily on foreign expertise in staging events where Japan does not have a strong background.Tokyo organizers have been criticized by various sports federations over issues such as competition planning, water pollution and communication channels.Some federations including sailing have raised concerns about Japan’s ability to deliver their events to an Olympic standard.”The federations are not going to have to worry too much about karate or judo or baseball or softball — track and field, great experience there, swimming too — but you go to rowing, canoeing, some of those sports, and it is going to need greater reliance on the international federations, in terms of operational planning,” Kyodo News agency quoted Coates as saying on Friday.
HERSTELLING A defeated Nandy Park by eight wickets in the final of the East Bank Demerara Cricket Association (EBDCA)-organised ISG/Sterling Products T20 cricket competition, which was played recently at the Laluni ground.In the championship clash of the 14-team competition, Nandy Park won the toss and batted first. Several batsmen had starts, but none exploded. Sagar Hathamani, who struck two sixes and an equal number of fours, led the charge with 39. Support came from national cricketer Tevin Imlach, who scored 27 runs (1×4, 2×6).Bowling for Herstelling, former Guyana U-19 cricketer Richie Looknauth finished with 2-17 from his four overs, while skipper Anand Bharat took 2-22 (also from four overs) and Delroy Williams 1-11.Safraz Esau then batted his team to an easy win. The all-rounder struck seven fours and five sixes in a top score of 67 unbeaten runs. Support came from another all-rounder, Looknauth, who finished with an unbeaten 30 (2×4, 1×6).Fast bowler Keon Morris took both wickets for Nandy Park. He finished with 2-21 from three overs.
KINGSTON, Jamaica – The Chinese Embassy in Kingston has described a statement made by United States Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, concerning the Asian nation’s investment in Jamaica and the wider Caribbean as irresponsible.Pompeo made the comment on Wednesday, while addressing a policy discussion before ending his visit to Jamaica.Late Wednesday, the Chinese Embassy in Jamaica, in a message telegraphed to Washington D.C., likened the Donald Trump administration to that of a “trouble-seeking cowboy picking fights with trading partners”.“For some time, it seems that some US politicians cannot go anywhere without attacking China, tarnishing China’s reputation, starting fires and fanning the flames and sowing discord,” the message read.“They can go on talking the talk if they so wish, but we will continue walking the walk. The world will tell plainly who is stirring up trouble and who is trying to make a difference.”The embassy said that China has brokered cooperation pacts with Latin America and the Caribbean on the basis of respect, equality, and mutual benefit, and that China’s billion-dollar infrastructure and other investments had been welcomed by the region.“Latin America and the Caribbean countries, as independent sovereign countries, have the right to determine their own foreign relations, including choosing their trade and investment partners. Others are in no position to impose interference or coercion out of ulterior motives,” the statement noted.Pompeo, has urged regional countries to thoroughly examine investments from all countries, and pointed to the Chinese in his response to a question raised during the policy discussion.According to Pompeo, the Chinese Communist Party presents a grave threat to democratic values, adding that Jamaica and its regional neighbours should “just make sure the transactions are on the up and up and that the investment is made for economic purposes”.“We love the Chinese people. The US has enormous investments from China in our country and we have American companies that have invested in China, too,” Pompeo said. (CMC)
Submit According to the leading supplier of Self-Service Betting Terminals (SSBTs), downloads of Playtech BGT Sports’ BetTracker product have more than doubled since the start of the football season.The app, which allows retail customers to track and cash-out bets on their mobile devices which have been placed on the company’s in-shop SSBTs, even without an account, is currently available in more than 2,000 shops around the UK and Ireland.Set to go live on the GooglePlay store, it has recently seen a surge in popularity with more than 30,000 bet tickets scanned and transferred to the app since the season began.John Pettit, Managing Director for UK, Ireland, Asia, and Australia at Playtech BGT Sports, said customers had been attracted to the convenience of managing betting activity on their own device without the need for an online account.“BetTracker has been very well-received since its launch and has really taken off in the last few weeks.“It’s a unique app that provides players with the ability to track their bets on the move and cash out if they choose. From an operator point of view, it increases the number of bets placed in shops by appealing to both new and existing customers. It also directly increases revenues as more bet tickets are ‘cashed out’ once they are transferred to BetTracker.“We were expecting it do well and haven’t been disappointed. We’re now confident it will be taken up be even more shop customers as we head towards the all-important World Cup next summer, with our operating partners reaping the rewards.”BetTracker was first launched with BetFred in May 2017, before going live with JenningsBet, Boylesports, and David Pluck in July.It has subsequently been deployed by independent operators Joe Jennings, Corbetts, Chisholm, and Sean Graham.The app, which is available on Apple and Android devices and is bespoke to each operator, allows customers to scan their sports bets to their mobile devices after placing them in-shop on a PBS SSBT.They are then able to monitor the progress of their bet tickets via visualisations and scoreboards and cash out if they choose, before returning to any of the retailer’s outlets to collect their winnings. StumbleUpon Jason Ader – No Boogeyman… Activism will play a vital part in reshaping gambling August 20, 2020 Related Articles Betfred counters Oppenheimer bid in race to rescue Phumelela August 26, 2020 Share Share BoyleSports signs Coventry City sponsorship August 21, 2020
Drouin took a huge open-ice hit from Alex Ovechkin in the second period of that game, but the team claims Drouin suffered the wrist injury after he had returned from concussion protocol. Montreal Canadiens forward Jonathan Drouin underwent successful wrist surgery on Monday and will be out for a minimum of eight weeks, it was announced on Tuesday.The team had placed Drouin on injured reserve on Saturday and said the 24-year-old sustained the injury during the third period of Friday’s 5-2 win over the Washington Capitals. SMOKED. pic.twitter.com/9eMP5QD0K3— NBC Sports Capitals (@NBCSCapitals) November 16, 2019Drouin’s loss serves a huge blow to a Montreal team that finds itself second in the Atlantic Division through Nov. 18; his 15 points in 19 games played had put him on pace for a 64-point season, which would serve as a career-high. The forward entered Friday’s game tied for the team’s overall scoring lead with Tomas Tatar, who scored four points against the Capitals.The Canadiens also announced that alternate captain Paul Byron underwent knee surgery on Tuesday and is expected to miss four weeks. Byron’s injury appears to stem from a collision with Washington’s Richard Panik in that same game. The 30-year-old forward did not play in Saturday’s contest against the New Jersey Devils.Here was the play involving Paul Byron / Richard Panik pic.twitter.com/LOruBdE6Yc— Here’s Your Replay ⬇️ (@HeresYourReplay) November 16, 2019In Drouin’s absence, the Canadiens recalled forward Charles Hudon from their AHL affiliate, the Laval Rocket. Hudon recorded under seven minutes and 55 seconds of ice time in Saturday’s game and recorded one shot on goal.
Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Submitted to Sumner Newscow â€” The Wellington Area Chamber of Commerce/CVB is pleased to announce the button design of the 2016 Wellington Fall Festival & Homecoming event. This year’s the winning image was designed by Nate Jones. It features the Duchess Crown and a Crusader football. In the background it has glowing Friday night lights.Panhandle Federal Credit Union will be premier sponsor of Wellington Fall Festival. Buttons will be $2 and will go on sale in early September. Buttons are made by Futures Unlimited Inc.Â The following is the calendar of the events for the Fall Fest weekend: Thursday, October 6th – Homecoming Parade – 6 p.m. Parade route will be down Washington Ave. – Wellington High School football team, cheerleaders, band and other student groups will have floats. Business are invited to participate in the homecoming parade as well as other Wellington community organizations to showcase team spirit. A pep rally will follow immediately after the parade in Heritage Park located beside Memorial Auditorium.Friday, October 7th – Homecoming Football Game – 7 p.m. Wellington vs. Scott City.Â Saturday, October 8th – Wellington Fall Festival 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Downtown Wellington. 5K Fun Run starts at 8:30 a.m. Arts & Craft Show starts at 9 a.m. Signature events will be the Chili Cook-Off in Heritage Park, public tasting at Noon. The Uptown BBQ CookOff (Licensed Event) will have a public tasting at 5 p.m. located on 7th street, by Heritage Park. Other events and contests include apple pie contest, Jalapeno eating contest, and salsa contest.Â Community groups are encouraged to have open houses and tours throughout the week and weekend for the high school reunions that will be happening in and around Wellington. The Chisholm Trail Museum will have a special celebration and exhibit to feature the 100th anniversary of the Hatcher Hospital.Â Many former employees and patients, as well as members of the Hatcher family are expected to be in town for the Hatcher Hospital Centennial Celebration.To be listed on the Homecoming and Fall Festival promotional materials, please contact Annarose White, email@example.com or Wanda Kelsey, firstname.lastname@example.org.Â More announcements about Fall Festival and Homecoming opportunities to follow.Â Wellington Fall Festival – Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/690298391108079/Â Fall Festival information online:Â http://www.wellingtonkschamber.com/fall-festival-2016i”The Wellington Area Chamber of Commerce/CVB is proud to work with students, teachers and community members to show off our outstanding school system and community,” said Annarose White, WACC Executive Director. Â “Wellington is a great place to live, work and raise a family. Go Crusaders!”Follow us on Facebook.Follow us on Twitter.
Trump assembles a made-for-TV impeachment defense team Cignal captures PSL Invitational bronze at expense of Smart ‘High crimes and misdemeanors’: Trump impeachment trial begins Palace OKs total deployment ban on Kuwait OFWs Report: Disney dropping the ‘Fox’ from movie studio names In the 2008 javelin, Christina Obergfoll of Germany may be upgraded from bronze to silver, and Goldie Sayers of Britain from fourth to bronze.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next DepEd’s Taal challenge: 30K students displaced LATEST STORIES Putin’s, Xi’s ruler-for-life moves pose challenges to West In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? At their appeal hearings in May in Lausanne, all three failed to prove the anti-doping test methods were not scientifically valid, CAS said in a statement.If medals are reallocated, Olga Rypakova of Kazakhstan could win a third Olympic triple jump medal.Rypakova stands to be upgraded from fourth to silver in 2008. She also won gold in 2012 and bronze in 2016.Because Lebedeva was disqualified along with 2008 bronze medalist Chrysopigi Devetzi of Greece for doping, Yargelis Savigne of Cuba could move up from fifth to bronze.In the women’s long jump, Blessing Okagbare of Nigeria may be upgraded from bronze to silver, and Chelsea Hammond of Jamaica improved from fourth to bronze.ADVERTISEMENT The banned anabolic steroid turinabol was discovered in retests of all three women’s Olympic anti-doping samples.Lebedeva won 2008 Beijing Olympic silver medals in the long jump and triple jump.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone still willing to coach Gilas but admits decision won’t be ‘simple yes or no’Abakumova won the silver in javelin at the 2008 Games.Gnidenko was eighth in Keirin track cycling at the 2012 London Olympics. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award MOST READ Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew View comments Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. FiLE – In this file photo dated Sunday, Aug. 23, 2009, Russia’s Tatyana Lebedeva in action on her way to winning the silver medal in the Women’s long jump at the World Athletics Championships in Berlin. The Court of Arbitration for Sport confirmed on Thursday July 26, 2018, the IOC decision to disqualify Tatyana Lebedeva along with fellow Russian athlete Maria Abakumova, losing their appeals to CAS for doping offenses at the 2008 Olympic Games.(AP Photo/Matt Dunham, FILE)LAUSANNE, Switzerland — Russian athletes Tatyana Lebedeva and Maria Abakumova lost their appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport on Thursday and were stripped of three silver medals for doping at the 2008 Olympic Games.CAS confirmed the IOC decisions in 2016 to disqualify the pair plus compatriot Ekaterina Gnidenko.ADVERTISEMENT
Ryan Stickel is expected to start for the Sox tomorrow. He started one of the games last weekend against the Rage and had a solid outing as 61 of his 87 pitches went for strikes.Tomorrow night’s game gets underway at 7 p.m. After that, the Sox move onto Grande Prairie for a double header Saturday afternoon against the Brewers.- Advertisement –