Dearborn County, In. — Career criminal, Jeffery Wayne Henderson, 43, has been sentenced to 88-years in prison for 17 counts of burglary in Dearborn County Court.A lengthy investigation by multiple agencies in the fall of 2017 revealed Henderson and his mother, Bonnie, were committing a string of daytime burglaries. led to the arrest of Henderson and his mother, Bonnie. The burglaries were reported in the Manchester Township area of Dearborn County.The judge cited Henderson’s 19 previous felony convictions during sentencing.
Also on the Benton County Fair program are IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars, IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stocks and Karl Kustoms Northern SportMods. Darrel DeFrance of Marshalltown has competed at all 492 events in the series’ 33-year history and won the first Deery event held at Vinton in 1988. Grandstand admission is $15 for adults, $5 for kids and free for youngsters ages five and under when accompanying a paid adult. Pit passes are $30. Deery Brothers Summer Series top 20 point standings – 1. Justin Kay, Wheatland, 95; 2. Jeremiah Hurst, Dubuque, 92; 3. Andy Eckrich, Oxford, and Matt Ryan, Davenport, both 91; 5. Joel Callahan, Dubuque, 86; 6. Curt Martin, Independence, and Terry Neal, Ely, both 85; 8. Andy Nezworski, Buffalo, 84; 9. Chad Holladay, Muscatine, 79; 10. Darrel DeFrance, Marshalltown, 77; 11. Joe Zrostlik, Long Grove, 75; 12. Dalton Simonsen, Fairfax, 66; 13. Paul Nagle, Nevada, 66; 14. Doug Nigh, Maquoketa, 65; 15. Todd Malmstrom, Hampton, Ill., 64; 16. Brian Harris, Davenport, 62; 17. Jeff Tharp, Sherrill, 51; 18. Jeff Aikey, Cedar Falls, and Todd Van Tassel, Delmar, 50; 20. Gary Webb, Blue Grass, 48. VINTON, Iowa – The Deery Brothers Summer Series headlines blue ribbon fair week entertainment next Thursday, June 27 at Benton County Speedway. Rob Toland of Colona, Ill., was the Deery winner at Benton County in 2005 and Jeremiah Hurst of Dubuque led the way to the checkers when the tour made its much anticipated return last June. The 50-lap $2,000 to win, minimum $300 to start main event marks just the fourth visit by the IMCA Late Model tour to Vinton. Pit gates open at 5 p.m. and the drivers’ meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. Hot laps are at 6:45 p.m. with racing to follow. Justin Kay of Wheatland and Jeff Aikey of Cedar Falls are Deery feature winners so far this season. Point leader Kay is the three-time and defending tour champion; seven-time series king Aikey won his career-leading 69th feature Tuesday at Maquoketa.
Martinez said: “This is always a significant moment to assess where you are and make sure we use the January window well. “It is a very important moment of the season but we can only be encouraged and excited with the first half of the season. “The players have shown their potential and we can’t wait to carry on developing that until the end of the season. “We are fortunate with the fans we have, recognising and applauding the efforts of the players. That’s what gives you extra points over the course of the season and it couldn’t give me more excitement looking forward to the second half of the season.” Southampton have enjoyed a fine start themselves and head to Goodison Park on the back of a 3-0 win at Cardiff. Martinez said: “Southampton are a terrific side, I think one of the best sides in this competition. “We know we are going to have to be at our best but we want to get rid of the feeling we were left with after the previous game. “It is a great opportunity to be on the pitch again. “We don’t want to find an excuse – the opposite. We always look at ways we can overcome the difficulties and perform in a manner that can get us a positive result.” Goalkeeper Joel Robles, who won the FA Cup under Martinez at Wigan last season and then followed him to Everton, will feature with Howard now suspended. Midfielder Gareth Barry, who has proved hugely influential since arriving on a season-long loan from Manchester City, also misses the game after accumulating five bookings. Martinez said: “Tim Howard has been sensational the whole campaign and has set high standards on a daily basis. “Joel is a young man who has been very professional waiting to help the team, and now he is going to have an opportunity to do that. “The whole squad, since day one, has been working with the same mentality of being ready and supportive of each other. “We couldn’t be happier with the goalkeepers at the club. “In the same way we are missing Gareth Barry, another experienced footballer who has set high standards, but it becomes an opportunity for someone else. “We’ll never use an excuse not to perform. It is an opportunity for the players who haven’t been playing to show how well they have been working behind the scenes.” England left-back Leighton Baines is in contention to return after more than a month out with a broken toe. Everton manager Roberto Martinez believes his team head into this weekend’s clash against Southampton stronger for their shock loss to Sunderland. Martinez was pleased with the response of his players and feels they learnt more in such circumstances than they would have done in a comfortable win. The Spaniard said: “In football you don’t want to lose games but we can take a lot from the way we faced adversity. “We lost a man early on and we had to play over 60 minutes with 10 men and I thought the way we did that was magnificent. I couldn’t be happier with the performance. “If you are going to lose a game the only thing you can do is learn from the situation and make sure we are stronger for the next game. “That is the way we are approaching it and I truly believe we are a stronger side now than we were before the game started. “You can get many positives from a defeat, in the same way you can get many negatives in a victory.” The Sunderland result denied Everton the chance to complete the calendar year 2013 without losing a home league game. But Sunday’s visit of Southampton marks the halfway point of the season and there is plenty of reason for optimism looking ahead. The high-flying Merseysiders, who were just two points off the top of the Barclays Premier League at Christmas, slipped to a surprise 1-0 home defeat to the bottom side on Boxing Day. Yet it was a game that hinged on one critical moment as goalkeeper Tim Howard conceded a penalty and was sent off in the 25th minute. Ki Sung-yeung struck from the spot and Everton, despite creating numerous chances, could not force an equaliser. Press Association
The Irishman achieved his dream of competing in the main draw at a grand slam thanks to a tremendous run through qualifying at Flushing Meadows. McGee, ranked 194, has spent his whole career until now fighting to make a living on the lowest rungs of the professional game. James McGee was unable to keep his New York fairytale going at the US Open. Press Association A first-round clash against Kazakh Aleksandr Nedovyesov, also ranked outside the top 100, appeared to offer the opportunity for further heroics and McGee made a great start. The 27-year-old’s family and friends had flown out from Ireland to watch him and he broke serve in the opening game before going on to take the first set. But Nedovyesov fought back to win the second and third sets and move a break ahead in the fourth. McGee recovered that and forced a tie-break but it was his opponent who came out on top in a 4-6 6-2 6-1 7-6 (7/3) victory. Nevertheless, McGee leaves New York with his head held high and his wallet weighed down by a cheque for more than 35,000 US dollars.
(REUTERS) – Diego Maradona has backed the use of video assistant referees (VAR) in football even though he is aware that his infamous ‘Hand of God’ goal would not have stood if the technology had existed during his heyday.The goal during the 1986 World Cup quarter-final between Argentina and England is one of the most talked about in the history of football, alongside his brilliant solo run past five defenders in the same game that gave his side a 2-1 victory.The diminutive Argentine, who tapped the ball over the head of onrushing goalkeeper Peter Shilton with his fist to score his country’s first goal, gained even more notoriety when he claimed afterwards it had been scored by the ‘Hand of God’.“Obviously I think about it whenever I show my support for the use of technology,” Maradona said in an interview posted on global football’s governing body FIFA’s website (www.fifa.com) yesterday.“I thought about it and, sure, that goal wouldn’t have stood if technology had been around. And I’ll tell you something else: at the 1990 World Cup I used my hand to clear the ball off the line against the Soviet Union.“We were lucky because the referee didn’t see it. You couldn’t use technology back then, but it’s a different story today.”FIFA has tested VAR technology at several tournaments ahead of next year’s World Cup in Russia, including at last month’s Confederations Cup, and its head of refereeing Massimo Busacca said afterwards that the technology should be refined.The governing body has already said it would like to use VAR at the 2018 World Cup, and football’s law-making body IFAB is expected to decide next March whether to allow them to become part of the game on a permanent basisVAR involves two video assistant referees who monitor the action on screens and draw the match referee’s attention to possible officiating mistakes.But criticisms include the time taken to make decisions and the referees’ criteria in deciding when to use the system, with some close calls being made without consulting the VARs.Maradona cited Frank Lampard’s disallowed goal for England against Germany at the 2010 World Cup and Geoff Hurst’s goal that won England the Jules Rimet Trophy in 1966, which modern replays later showed did not fully cross the line, as instances where technology could have made a difference.“People used to say that we’d waste a lot of time; that it would cause a lot of annoyance. But that’s not the case,” he said.“Football can’t fall behind. Given the rate at which technology is advancing and the fact that every sport uses it, how can we not think about using it in football?”
QPR have confirmed the signing of former Tottenham youngster Freddy Champion on a professional contract.The midfielder has signed an 18-month deal at Loftus Road along with R’s youth products Jordan Gibbons and Jamie Sendles-White.Champion was born and raised in Shepherd’s Bush and was on the books of QPR and Chelsea before Spurs snapped him up.AdChoices广告He joined Rangers on trial earlier this season after being released by the north London club, and was subsequently taken on as a scholar before being told he would be given a pro contract in the new year.Related stories:QPR snap up former Spurs youngsterQPR take Spurs youngster on trial
Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 22, 2015 at 12:12 am Contact Jesse: firstname.lastname@example.org | @dougherty_jesse It had been 66 minutes of game time since Trevor Cooney’s last 3-pointer, and he was on the court for 64 of them.The junior’s shooting draught went from 3:08 left in the second half of Syracuse’s overtime win over Wake Forest on Jan. 13, through the Orange’s double-digit loss to Clemson on Saturday and to the 1:40 mark of SU’s 69-61 win over Boston College on Tuesday night.That’s when he sized up Eagles guard Olivier Hanlan on the right wing, took one dribble to his left and stroked a 3 off the back rim and through the bottom of the net.And while the 3 buried Cooney’s recent struggles, it also accented how handcuffing his struggles can be.“They just keep a guy with him the whole time, and he’s seen that before,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said of what teams are doing to slow Cooney down. “St. John’s did the best job of it this year and Clemson, those are the two teams that have done the best job.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“They just didn’t leave him to help or do anything. Away (from the ball) on defense they just stay with him the whole time.”It’s no coincidence that Clemson and St. John’s are two of Syracuse’s five losses, as Cooney is shooting 26 percent from deep in losses and 38 percent from 3 all season long. The Orange (14-5, 5-1 Atlantic Coast) hosts Miami (12-5, 2-2) at 4 p.m. on Saturday, and Cooney’s production continues to hinge on creating space with a diverse offensive game.“He’s a much more complete player when he’s putting the ball on the floor,” SU forward Michael Gbinije said after beating the Demon Deacons on Jan. 13. “Whenever he can find other ways to get looks, it’s only going to make him look from 3 better.”Cooney wasn’t able to mix things up against Clemson, though, and it showed in his final stat line.Tigers guard Rod Hall blanketed Cooney around screens, away from the ball and whenever Cooney had it. The shooting guard had limited opportunities to put it on the floor and change his vantage point.The upped defensive pressure turned him into a one-dimensional shooter relying on contested looks. The result was a five-point game in which he shot 0-for-7 from the field and 0-for-5 from beyond the arc.“I was frustrated after Clemson, sure I was,” Cooney said after SU beat BC. “But I had to find other ways to score and help the team. Get to the foul line and defend, stuff like that.”At the end of the Clemson game, as the Orange clung to a half-hearted comeback, Cooney forced his way into the creases of the Tigers’ defense and shot seven free throws. Against the Eagles, he looked to dribble first in Syracuse’s half-court offense and eventually freed himself up for five clean looks from 3, two of which went in.Miami is 11th out of 15 ACC teams in 3-point defense — with opponents shooting an average of 33 percent against them — but Cooney will still be a main focus of the Hurricanes’ defense.After senior forward Rakeem Christmas, the SU offense has gone as Cooney has gone this season. The shooting guard has scored under 10 points in three of the Orange’s five losses, and in just three of the team’s 15 wins.It’s a trend that has carried over from last season and promises to continue, starting with a pivotal conference matchup with the Hurricanes this weekend.“You can see it in his play and with his numbers,” Syracuse point guard Kaleb Joseph said after SU beat Wake Forest. “If he’s taking more shots inside he’s bound to get more outside looks. That’s just Trevor. And we need Trevor for just about everything we do.” Comments
Published on October 7, 2015 at 8:47 pm Contact Liam: email@example.com A hard pass came bouncing over the turf and headed out of bounds before Liz Sack went airborne and dove head first with her stick extended to reach it. Instead of finding the boundary line, the ball deflected off of the junior forward’s stick and into the net.She fell to the ground, looked up and burst to her feet to celebrate the goal with her teammates that put Syracuse ahead 3-0 over Monmouth. She bounded across the field to hug Alyssa Manley with her arms above her head and a smile painted across her face.“It’s always fun to see anyone score and Liz’s celebrations are pretty darn good,” said head coach Ange Bradley. “…We’ve been focusing on (diving goals) quite a bit the last week, so to see her take that from practice and make it happen in a game is really exciting.”It’s a moment Sack never had the chance to celebrate last season from the right-back position where she started all but two games. But after switching back to forward this season, she’s contributed for the Orange off the bench. She’ll continue to give No. 1 Syracuse (11-0, 3-0 Atlantic Coast) scoring depth when it visits No. 11 Louisville (7-4, 0-4 Atlantic Coast) Friday at 6 p.m.“Yeah, I started last year, but I don’t mind coming off the bench because this is what allows me to be most effective and help the team,” Sack said. “If I’m not starting, I’m going to make the most of it.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBradley asked Sack, who’s traditionally a forward, to fill a void at back last season. She stepped into an unfamiliar position and helped anchor a defense that allowed 1.67 goals per game.This season, sophomore Lies Lagerweij and newcomers Roos Weers and Zoe Wilson have shut down SU’s opponents by allowing .82 goals per game. The improved defense allowed Sack to move back to forward, but she found herself behind the team’s offensive leaders Emma Russell and Emma Lamison on the depth chart.“She’s really flexible with her movement and she’s really aggressive when we put her in the forward line,” Russell said. “She’s always closing in on backs really quickly, which I think she learned from being a back last year.”There hasn’t been much transition for Sack as she moves back into the role of a forward. Instead the focus has been on making up for lost time and learning from those in front of her.Russell praised Sack’s listening and said she’s “coachable.” Sack picks the brain of the veteran forwards and makes sure to intently watch from the sideline to maximize her effectiveness upon entering.“She’s a smart player,” Russell said. “It’s really big for us to have someone who can play both forward and back. There’s no drop … when (Sack) comes in.”In preparation of entering the game last Friday against Monmouth, Sack jogged in place and moved more than the other girls on the sideline as play began. With eight minutes gone in the first half, Sack paced over to assistant coach Tara Zollinger, who gestured to the opposing goal with an outstretched arm.Sack said that the players go to Zollinger with a lot of questions about forward movement and attack. The junior forward created a penalty corner upon entering the game a little after the 10-minute mark.It’s the little things Sack has grown accustomed to doing while not at the forefront of the attack. Still, it’s a niche even she thinks gives her an upper hand at times.“My legs are always fresh, especially after playing all the time last year,” Sack said. “I feel like I have the advantage coming in for four to seven minute spurts and attacking tired defenders.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
Comments AdvertisementThis is placeholder text No. 14 Syracuse (3-2, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) topped No. 18 Johns Hopkins, 14-10, in the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon. The Orange rode a 6-1 fourth-quarter stretch to comeback against the Blue Jays. The midfield sparked a scoring run and the the defense settled after a shaky start.See what our beat writers had to say after the win. Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on March 10, 2019 at 1:28 pm
David Moyes has warned skipper Nemanja Vidic he cannot expect to walk straight back into the Manchester United team.Vidic is ready to return after missing two games with a minor injury suffered in the Premier League defeat by Newcastle at Old Trafford on December 7.Yet those two matches have both been wins, in which United have managed to keep successive clean sheets for only the second time this season.Jonny Evans and Phil Jones looked particularly untroubled at Aston Villa on Sunday.And whilst Vidic has been the cornerstone of United’s defence following his arrival from Spartak Moscow almost eight years ago, the Serbian has been plagued by injury since rupturing his cruciate ligaments in the Champions League to Basle in December 2011.With Rio Ferdinand now 35, Moyes is known to be on the lookout for central defensive reinforcements. Yet, even amongst his current squad, it seems Vidic will have to work to win his place back.”Nemanja is just about ready to play now,” said Moyes.”But we have five centre-halves. We can use Phil Jones, Chris Smalling, Jonny Evans, Rio Ferdinand and him.”There is competition for places there and you are going to have to play well to stay in the team.”