Man, 18, Allegedly Rapes Girl, 6

first_imgAn 18-year-old man accused of sexually abusing a six-year-old girl was Friday, September 19, forwarded to the Monrovia City Court for prosecution on the commission of the crime of rape.Defendant Sualiho Sheriff was said to have raped his victim (name withheld) on September 9 in the Mamba Point community, where they both live.Though he denied the claim, he was arraigned before the court, defendant Sheriff was subsequently remanded at the Monrovia Central Prison (MCP) because the act is a non-bailable offense under the Revised Penal Law.Police officers, who arrested and charged defendant Sheriff, claimed they did so based on facts gathered during investigation, statement of the victim and a medical report of the James Davis Hospital.They further claimed that the medical report showed several lacerations on the victim’s private part.Prior to the police investigation, the victim’s mother, Madam Esther Blake complained that her daughter alleged she was sexually abused by Sheriff on September 9, at about 10 a.m. in their Mamba Point community.According to her, before the act was discovered, she noticed her daughter (victim) was losing weight.Besides, Madam Blake said, her daughter complained to her about stomach pain.Due to the stomach complaint, Madam Blake said, the victim’s father also decided questioning her.The family claimed that it was during the inquiry the victim mentioned the name of the defendant.“She told us that it was defendant Sheriff who had sex with her in his (defendant) sister Makula Sheriff’s room, while we were away from the area,” Madam Blake quoted her daughter to the police.“She also informed me the incident took place during the morning hour on Tuesday, September 4, after we left her in care of the defendant’s sister, Makula,” she further quoted the victim.Madam Blake also quoted the victim as saying, “Makula also left me and my little sister in front of her room door for her to go and urinate outside the house,” adding “My daughter also told me that after Makula left the house, the defendant arrived immediately and took her in his sister’s room where he sexually abused her.”After that, Madam Blake also quoted her daughter saying, “Defendant Sheriff advised her not to tell anybody about what had happened between them.”“He also advised me that if anyone was to ask me what was happening to me, I should say it was defendant Sheriff’s older brother Abu Sheriff, who sexually abused me,” the victim is quoted.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More

56 Parents Receive Grant from Street Child

first_imgA day after Street Child provided a U$5,000.00 grant to parents of 50 amputee children to ensure their sustainability, in the Elizabeth Legacy of Hope project, another group of 56 parents last Thursday, each received U$100.00, amounting to U$5,600.00.The beneficiaries were parents whose children, over 400, were removed from the street and reunited with them, through counseling and education.Providing the seed money to the beneficiaries at a program held in the auditorium of the Educational Promoters of Chocolate City, near Gardnersville, Monrovia, and Coordinator June Rose-Dangbuah told the parents that the seed money must be used in accordance with how to start and manage a business, at the end of seminar that preceded the distribution.The seminar was assisted by social work coordinator Rose Clarke, and the topics discussed were ‘price setting, inventory management, how to handle customers as well as difficult customers.Also examined was problem solving drills in business and why a business succeeds.Coordinator Clarke spoke to the parents on how to manage their children, particularly their teenage daughters to succeed where they did not as teenagers.“Help your children not to make the mistakes that you made growing up,” she urged, “because teenage girls are difficult to deal with at certain period in their lives. Continue to encourage them to know the dangers of rushing into life.”In a somber mood, Clarke explained the uncertainties of life when care is not considered in dealing with children, particularly teenagers.“Street Child will keep checking on you,” she told them, “so I beg you manage this seed money the best way you can.”A spokesperson for the beneficiaries expressed appreciation to Street Child and assured maximum use of the knowledge gained in the seminar to ensure sustainability.The program was assisted by a team of Street Child of Liberia volunteers, along with Ebola Project coordinator, Kaba Y. Moore, and Ms. Edwina Fully, coordinator of the Elizabeth Legacy of Hope project.Street Child of Liberia is a child advocacy group supported by Street Child UK. It has provided financial and material support to children made orphans by the current Ebola epidemic, and represented Liberia in the last Street Child World Cup in Brazil.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More

‘Ravaging’ Ebola Film, Hell’s Gate, Premieres Friday

first_imgHell’s GateHell’s Gate, a feature film about the 2014 Ebola Virus Disease outbreak in Liberia is set to be launched on Friday, November 29, 2019, at Golden Gate Hotel, near SKD Sports Complex.Produced by Cosme Pulano, Jr., the movie is a historical fiction/romantic drama about a flowering relationship between Francis (Eddie Watson) and Musu (Korto Davis). Their blissful relationship is flowering and generating some envy within their community of friends; however, in a twinkling of an eye, their wedding plans are shattered after they care for an Ebola patient.“Unfortunately, the unforeseen killer disease shattered their plans and plunged the nation into a devastating health crisis. Many had failed to accept that Ebola was real and didn’t heed the advice of health workers.“The chances of survival of many including the couple became uncertain as the deadly Ebola Virus Disease brought Liberians to the brink of Hell’s Gate,” said Pulano, director of the Blockbuster Movie, Decisions.According to Pulano, his goal of making such a film is to document and provide cardinal information about the Ebola Virus Disease outbreak and provide key education for present and future generations through the use of audiovisuals and story-telling.“In addition, the film serves as a continuous means of education that Ebola Virus Disease is lurking and could return at any time. The story of Francis and Musu is a subject of a tale of resilience and hope as it is a narration for history and mass education.”Pulano added the movie will also provide cardinal education for generations using audiovisuals and story-telling.“It is the first-ever future film shot in Liberia about the devastating 2014 Ebola outbreak, which killed a total of 4,810 people in Liberia and goes beyond the makings of independent movies. Besides, the movie will serve as a continuous means of education that Ebola Virus Disease is lurking and may return. ‘Hell’s Gate’ is expected to transform the lives of many young people who will showcase their talents and earn money that will be infused into the economy,” Pulano saidAccording to CNN’s “Inside Africa Lollywood”, the project goes beyond the makings of just another independent movie but one that has placed an emerging film industry on an enviable upward trajectory toward unending development and growth.The movie, which is the sole property of Vision International Production, is done in collaboration with Messiah Investment, which is owned and operated by Nurudeen Sanni. For his part, Sanni, the Director of Photography of the project, thanked God that they have completed the project, which has a one hundred per cent Liberian crew and actors.Vision International Production (VIP) in collaboration with Messiah Investment completed the film’s principal photography in June, 2019.He noted that he was glad to have worked with Cosme Pulano and Eddie Watson, who directed the film, to do this project that he believes will take the world by surprise.The Red Carpet for the film premiere and Dinner starts at 5p.m. with ticket price ranging from US$250, US$100, US$75 and US$50.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More

Judges wanted to see if political parties had support

first_imgMinisters at CCJ TrinidadDirector General of the Ministry of the Presidency, Joseph Harmon on Thursday confirmed that the decision was made by Cabinet to send Government Ministers to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) hearing of the Validity of the No-confidence Motion against the Government.Director General of the Ministry of the Presidency, Joseph HarmonHarmon made this disclosure during his post-Cabinet media briefing in response to questions posed by media operatives.He said the trip to the CCJ was official and funded by the Government of Guyana as the Ministers were sent to represent the said Government.He explained that it was necessary for the Ministers to attend the hearings as Judges presiding in the matter would have been looking to see the party’s interest in the matter and whether they attended or not.This is in addition to the legal representation the Government would have had there. He added that the decision was made after long and careful deliberations by Cabinet.The Ministers that attended the CCJ hearing were Education Minister Nicolette Henry; Public Service Minister Tabitha Sarrabo-Halley; Business Minister Haimraj Rajkumar; Vice President Sydney Allicock; and Social Cohesion Minister, Dr George Norton.The Government has come under much scrutiny for this move as none of the Ministers is in any way connected with the cases, nor is any one of them legally trained.Attorney Christopher Ram has also criticised the Government for sending the Ministers there and called for the Finance Minister to give taxpayers a full account of the expenditure incurred during the trip.“There is no apparent reason for any of the Ministers to be in Trinidad as a spectator of court proceedings that were live streamed and could have been accessible from any place in Guyana. One suggestion was a show of force to the Court or moral support for the Attorney General (AG), hardly a justification for their presence. Responsible Government requires that taxpayers’ money is properly spent and fully accounted for,” Ram had stated.So far, the Attorney General has retained at least five Senior Counsels from abroad who command very high fees.Guyana is awaiting the ruling of the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), the Caribbean Community’s highest court, on the Co-confidence Motion appeals.That ruling will ultimately decide if the coalition Government will continue its term in office, or if elections have to be held before the 2020 due date.The Trinidad-based court entertained arguments over a two-day period – May 9 and May 10 – on the matters brought before them.There were the likes of Trinidad and Tobago-based Senior Counsel Douglas Mendes, who along with former Belizean Attorney General Courtenay presented arguments on behalf of the Opposition and Government respectively.Their Guyanese counterparts included Attorney General Basil Williams, Attorney Anil Nandlall, Senior Counsel Neil Boston, Attorneys Sanjeev Datadin, Kamal Ramkarran and others.Apart from President Saunders, the panel of Judges comprised Justices Winston Anderson, Jacob Wit, David Hayton and Maureen Rajnauth-Lee.last_img read more

Read More

L.A. continues bid for 2016 Games

first_imgThe northbound morning commute was heavy, but separate buses carrying commission members and the media moved easily southbound. “We have no doubts Los Angeles has the capability to host the next Olympic Games,” said Jim Scherr, USOC chief executive officer. The commission visited Home Depot Center in Carson, proposed site of archery, cycling, soccer and tennis. Former U.S. national team stars Mia Hamm and Alexi Lalas greeted them overlooking the soccer field. “The opportunity to host the Olympics would be wonderful and we could do it today,” Lalas told reporters. “They’re not going to see anything like this in other cities. It’s what we like to call the cathedral of soccer.” Accompanied by six former Olympians, including swimmer Janet Evans, the commission then traveled 18 miles to Long Beach for a walkthrough of the city’s convention center complex (site of rhythmic gymnastics, judo, taekwondo, table tennis and wrestling). They drove by the parking lot where a temporary aquatics center would spring up, saw the sandy patch planned for beach volleyball, and got a glimpse of the shoreline marina to be used for sailing. “It’s very impressive,” said Bob Ctvrtlik, IOC member and Evaluation Commission chairman. “You can walk in them, touch them and see exactly how they will perform. Is that something that will push them over the top? We’ll have to see.” LOS ANGELES – The bus ferrying U.S. Olympic Committee evaluators slowed to a crawl Friday as it merged onto the freeway headed for Long Beach during a tour of venues for Los Angeles’ bid to land the 2016 Summer Olympics. It was the only slowdown the 11-member Evaluation Commission experienced while wrapping up a two-day stay with visits to existing venues in Carson, Long Beach and Los Angeles. center_img By comparison, Chicago would need to build most of its venues. The Midwestern city is competing with Los Angeles to be the U.S. candidate to the International Olympic Committee. “Potentially, there could be more risk,” Ctvrtlik said about Chicago’s lack of existing venues. “At this point, we were impressed by the venues we saw and the plan that has been laid out in Los Angeles.” The commission will visit Chicago on Monday and Tuesday. The USOC will announce its candidate city on April 14, with the IOC choosing the 2016 host in 2009. Los Angeles is seeking to host its third Summer Olympics, having done so in 1932 and 1984. Some critics suggest there might be Los Angeles fatigue among IOC members. “It does come up,” Ctvrtlik said. “It’s a factor, but it’s a factor that would just have to be overcome if L.A. was to go forward.” The commission boarded a light rail train in Long Beach for a 53-minute ride (no stops) that dropped members off a few blocks from the Los Angeles Convention Center, which would house press and broadcast operations. The group walked next door to Staples Center, the proposed gymnastics venue, and looked out at the under-construction L.A. Live project that will add restaurants, clubs, a theater and high-end hotels to that mostly sleepy section of downtown. Tim Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group that operates Staples Center, stressed his company’s established relationships with commission members. AEG backed London’s successful bid for the 2012 Summer Games. “I don’t think anyone has better relationships with the international community than Los Angeles,” Leiweke said. “We’ve been there, done it.” After visiting Chicago, commission members will submit follow-up questions to both cities’ organizing committees, with a Thursday deadline to answer. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Read More

Most likely results in every Championship game this weekend, according to stats

first_img Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? 5 Preston North End v West Bromwich AlbionPreston North End win – 28 per cent chance of happeningWest Bromwich Albion win – 45 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 26 per cent chance of happening Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade Sheffield Wednesday v Leeds UnitedSheffield Wednesday win – 33 per cent chance of happeningLeeds United win – 40 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening Bristol City v Aston VillaBristol City win – 38 per cent chance of happeningAston Villa win – 33 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening Latest Football News 5 Nottingham Forest in action against Stoke City in the Carabao Cup. 5 England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade REVEALED Queens Park Rangers players celebrate 5 Brentford v ReadingBrentford win – 62 per cent chance of happeningReading win – 14 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 23 per cent chance of happening Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury One such producer of these is FiveThirtyEight but what does their analysis suggest will be the outcomes in all 12 games in the English second tier this weekend?Take a look at the chances of each result below. silverware Blackburn Rovers v Nottingham ForestBlackburn Rovers win – 39 per cent chance of happeningNottingham Forest win – 31 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 30 per cent chance of happening MONEY huge blow no dice Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card BEST OF Can Derby County boss Frank Lampard get another win following a fantastic triumph against Manchester United in the Carabao Cup. Bolton Wanderers v Derby CountyBolton Wanderers win – 33 per cent chance of happeningDerby County win – 38 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 30 per cent chance of happening ADVICE RANKED REVEALED It’s always hard trying to predict the outcome of a Championship football match, whether you’re Paul the Octopus or a top punter.Everyone has their own different ways of forecast the result and statistics are more often being used. impact Every Championship club’s best signing of the decade, including Taarabt and Dack Birmingham City v Ipswich TownBirmingham City win – 49 per cent chance of happeningIpswich Town win – 21 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 30 per cent chance of happening Hull City v MiddlesbroughHull City win – 28 per cent chance of happeningMiddlesbrough win – 43 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happening Millwall v Sheffield UnitedMillwall win – 36 per cent chance of happeningSheffield United win – 35 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 29 per cent chance of happening Millwall players celebrate Norwich City v Wigan AthleticNorwich City win – 48 per cent chance of happeningWigan Athletic win – 25 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 27 per cent chance of happening Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Leeds United star Barry Douglas 5 Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Swansea City v Queens Park RangersSwansea City win – 51 per cent chance of happeningQueens Park Rangers win – 22 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 28 per cent chance of happening Rotherham United v Stoke CityRotherham United win – 22 per cent chance of happeningStoke City win – 53 per cent chance of happeningDraw – 25 per cent chance of happeninglast_img read more

Read More

GOVERNMENT MUST BE ‘FAIR’ OR FACE PUBLIC BACKLASH, SAYS HARKIN

first_imgIndependent MEP Marian Harkin today welcomed the Government’s decision to reverse proposed cuts in personal assistance services for people with disabilities.The Ireland North & West noted that “the proposed cuts would not alone have contravened the government’s strategy for carers but would also have undermined its entire strategy on healthcare which is committed to keeping people in their own homes rather than in hospitals and nursing homes.”Harkin pointed out that the proposed reductions would place an unacceptable extra burden on persons with disabilities and many carers whose current commitment stretches them to the limit. “Minister Reilly claims that the mooted 10.8 Million Euro savings will instead be made through cuts in administration, training and travel costs, and better cash management, so it is now incumbent upon him to provide detailed costings of how these savings can be made in a fair, reasonable manner”.Fairness must come firstAddressing the necessity to make cuts in the health sector, the North & West MEP argued that “there is no saving in government expenditure where the HSE is required to cut cost effective health investment which is then replaced by greater expenditure to cater for the much more expensive costs involved in institutional care.“The government in it’s Carers Strategy states that it ‘seeks to ensure that carers feel valued and supported and manage their caring responsibilities with confidence and are empowered to have a life of their own outside of caring’. What chance is there of delivery on this aspiration when it is being seriously undermined by the cuts being demanded of the HSE? For example, can the Government not find additional savings which will allow the proposed cuts to older people’s services to be reversed? “If the government is not to foment a dangerous rift with citizens it must place ‘fairness’ at the centre of all policy decisions for the future. As part of the ‘fairness’ policy the Minister for Health must not permit the cuts to home services which are vital to the people directly concerned and to their carers who must not have further unbearable pressure placed on them,” Harkin concluded. GOVERNMENT MUST BE ‘FAIR’ OR FACE PUBLIC BACKLASH, SAYS HARKIN was last modified: September 5th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Read More

Raiders’ Cook, Hudson, Osemele are Pro Bowl alternates

first_imgALAMEDA — Should there be an investigation?That’s what Raiders coach Jon Gruden suggested if tight end Jared Cook didn’t make the Pro Bowl, and that could probably be extended to center Rodney Hudson as well.But when Pro Bowl selections were announced Tuesday night, the Raiders paid the price for a 3-11 record when no players were named to the initial roster. Alternates could be named to the roster later when players pull out because of injury or are playing on teams that are in the Super …last_img read more

Read More

USDA Rural Development workshops focus on development and energy

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The USDA, Rural Development will be holding 4 free workshops in Washington Court House, Findlay, Wooster, and Marietta Ohio.  All of the USDA, Rural Development programs will be presented with a focus on Rural Business Development Grants and Rural Energy for America Program.  You are invited to come and learn about our programs, receive information on application processes, and ask questions. WHEN: February 10, 2017 10:00 – 11:30AMWHERE: Southern State Community College1270 US Route 62 SW, Washington Court House, OH 43160 WHEN:  February 14, 2017 from 10:00 – 11:30AMWHERE: Job and Family Services Building7814 County Road 140, Findlay, OH 45840WHEN: February 15, 2017 from 10:00 – 11:30AMWHERE: Wooster Main Library, Meeting Room 1220 W Liberty St, Wooster, OH 44691 WHEN: February 16, 2017 from 10:00 – 11:30AMWHERE: Ohio University, Small Business Development Center2163 State Route 831, Building 6, Marietta, OH 45750 All are welcome. Reservations are not required.If you would like additional information, for REAP or general questions please call Christie Hooks at (614) 255-2397 or email at Christie.Hooks@oh.usda.gov; for RBDG or general questions please call Cindy Musshel at (614) 255-2427 or email at Cindy.Musshel@oh.usda.gov.last_img read more

Read More

Porkbelly BBQ wins CIFT Excellence Award

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Porkbelly BBQ, manufacturer of four unique, handcrafted, Ohio-made barbecue sauces, was honored with the CIFT Excellence Award.The award is in recognition of exceptional achievement in the development of the food company and the contribution to the industry and state of Ohio.“This achievement comes at such an exciting time for Porkbelly BBQ,” said Rory P.J. Earl, co-founder/partners, Porkbelly BBQ. “Due to the assistance from CIFT, we have been able to focus on our business growth and expand our small business. Now, as we enter the final stages of opening our restaurant, we look forward to growing our business further and expanding the reach of our sauces.”In 2011, Earl co-founded “RoarE Q” (doing business under the name of Porkbelly BBQ) with his wife, Heather, and parents Charles and Patricia Earl. They started producing barbecue sauce at the Northwest Ohio Cooperative Kitchen, managed by CIFT. Their sauces quickly became available in northwest Ohio grocery stores. Soon they added a mobile vending unit, seasonal staff, and catering to their business portfolio. In February, the Earl’s are opening a restaurant in Bowling Green, Ohio, including the addition of several new full-time employees, and further expansion of catering.The company specializes in homestyle barbecue meals, scratch cooking, and slow-pit cooking over cherry wood throughout the day.last_img read more

Read More